 Trains / 30829
Re: Is the Emerald Night (PF) Slow?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 22:45:40 GMT

Bruce S. Chamberlain wrote:

Slower is more realistic and will not derail on corners. I always run my steam
engines as slow as I can without stalling. The better question is how many cars
can it pull slowly and how long does the battery last?

Pulling more cars was one of the first things I tried. I was just using a simple
oval track, so lots of turning. Half of the cars I used were 4-wheel ones, which
have lots of friction on the corners. I had a total of 8 cars on it, and it pulled
them fine. However, the tan bevel gear which drives the front axle came off, with
a fairly loud grinding noise. If you can push the axle further out, to get more
hold on that bevel gear, it works better.

One of the things I noticed on mine is that the floating wheels don't really turn
that much. I believe the problem is that of too much friction from the axle/pin
that holds the wheels - that's not an ideal mount for wheels (I think the pin end
is rubbing on the stuff behind it). If you take off the connecting rods, note that
only the front driver wheels are actually driving. When running that way, one of
the rear driving wheels would actually turn backwards - I think the spacing between
them is small enough that they are rubbing slightly. It could be that I don't have
the elastic bands on straight, and so they are sticking out a bit more than they
should.

I'm waiting for the set that just has one more passenger car!

-Chris Gray (NALUG)