 Trains / 30580
Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:40:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Benn Coifman wrote:
   I was finally able to clear out enough time and off enough room to photograph my N&W J-class steam engine (northern, 4-8-4) and consist.

Full Gallery

You’ve built your self a pretty awesome train Ben. The Norfolk and Western J class is my opinion one of the most beautiful streamlined steamers built. Your solution for the running gear is very innovative and looks like it works quite well. It’s great she runs so well. A locomotive and passenger set this nice deserves to strut its stuff in public. And I can sympathize with your boiler woes. Getting round contours with square pieces is a challenge. I look forward to seeing your improved version.

The observation car is a work of art. I love how you worked out the tail. If I ever get around to doing the Pennsylvania Broadway Limited I may borow your ideas for the observation car

Cale

Thank you Cale,

you’re too kind. I just wish I was at BW long enough to get a decent photo of our two N&W engines side by side. Indeed, I plan on featuring shots of the running gear off of the locomotive in the forthcoming RB article. The new boiler is lined with cheese bricks across the bottom to get the curve back (ah, the ultimate cheater piece, they should be illegal).

And there are always new problems cropping up, e.g., the roof around the observation could use something. The corners of the wedges are rough on the eye. But that’s the challenge of 6 wide, getting all the bends and curves you want in a small space (hum, maybe this is a job for cheese bricks???... while they’re still legal, grin)

Benn