 Trains / 30581
Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:56:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   I was finally able to clear out enough time and off enough room to photograph my N&W J-class steam engine (northern, 4-8-4) and consist.

Full Gallery • ...

Benn, this is just brilliant! What a gorgeous train you’ve built! I absolutely love this locomotive, and I’ve wanted to build it for some time, myself. I never would have thought to float the drivers and not the trucks on the locomotive, but it certainly seems to work well for you. I’m dieing to see more detailed pictures on how you were able to get the pistons to work in relation to the moving driver assembly. If it weren’t for the particular design elements I’m working toward on my next build that prevent it, I’d do exactly this.

And of course your standard 8 wide locomotive, 7 wide tender, and 6 wide cars theme has always been a clever signature of yours.

The cars are great as well, I see a few techniques I’ll have to blatantly steal, especially all that undercarriage detail.

I hope I can see it in action someday.

--Tony

And thank you Tony,

like Cale you are too kind. The cylinders are rigidly fixed with the drivers (well, there’s a little slop), so the whole unit rotates together. The hard part was making it small and sturdy. The end result works, though the engine is a little more delicate than most of my other trains. You have to grab the drivers when you pick the engine up, I prefer an engine sturdy enough you could safely give it to an eight year old (at least for 5 sec). (again, photos will be forthcoming in RB)

I’m looking forward to seeing said current build of yours. And maybe one of these days you’ll be able to build the cars to go with the Tequila Sunrise.

Indeed, hopefully one of these years we will find our selves at the same show. You’ve got some pretty slick steamers yourself and I’d like to see them in person.

Benn