 Trains / 30586
Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:16:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Carl Greatrix wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   I was finally able to clear out enough time and off enough room to photograph my N&W J-class steam engine (northern, 4-8-4) and consist.

Comments are welcome,

Enjoy,

Benn

Full Gallery

I have to say, this looks pretty slick, I bet it looks fantastic in action. Clever work of the floating assembly of the fixed valve gear to drive wheels, I know that space is WAY tight! well done :)

You really need some side hand rails along that boiler though!!....you have every possible option to do so, so what you waiting for?!

Carl

Thank you for the kind words. As I mentioned, watch RB for photos showing the drivers without the engine in the way. After seeing your 9F, it looks like I’ve left out about half of the feasible detailing on the drivers alone. I want to get “working” valve gear in one of my designs. Speaking of your 9F, I have just one word: WOW! After seeing your build I want to go back to my tenwheeler and add lots of piping.

The (prototype) J’s were stylized to look like they could fly to the moon with most of the hardware hidden under the jacketing. So I deliberately left the handrails off of the model for the same reason I left the pinstriping off, I thought it would be disproportionately large and too prominent. When I look at photos of the real J’s, I only notice the handrails when I study the locomotives. Don’t worry though, my next steam engine or two will make up for the omitted handrails on the J.

Benn

Hi Benn, Thank YOU for your kind words also :) I know what you mean about the hand rails being disproportinately large, what I’ve started using now rather than normal tubing is technic flex rod, it gives a more proportionate / scale look.

Carl