 Trains / 29946
Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:16:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:

Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

After tackling a few rigid frame steamers I decided for my next challenge to build an articulated. So I chose one of my favorite Mallets the N&W Y6b.

This was a defiantly a challenging build. It is my largest steam locomotive to date at 6 track lengths (roughly 30 inches) and is 9 wide. And yes it will make tight turns and even go through switches(at slow speed).

One of the hardest parts was building the pilot and trailing trucks. The real Y6’s used outside frame trucks and I wanted to replicate that look without resorting to the standard LEGO wheel sets. The front truck turned out a little bulkier than I would like, but as a consolation they have a nice roller bearing effect when in motion.

Y6b Tenders had side skirting that extended below the tops of the trucks. This became another interesting challenge as I wanted to go for more detail on the tender trucks. But getting a three axial powered truck around turns without interfering with the tender body necessitated some compromise. I think in the future I may build a more detailed unpowered tender for when the locomotive is on static display.

The cab interior is tight but I was able to add a few good details.

Some additional images.

Cale

Wow. Just... wow.

I absolutely love this locomotive. Not just because it looks great, but because the way you’ve solved some problems I’ve run into in the past with attaching pilot and rear trucks. I’ve been drooling over this locomotive now for at least a half hour, and it really makes me want to try something at this scale myself.

Of particular interest to me is the way you’ve attached the pilot truck, using the axle of the wheel to attach it to the rest of the locomotive - brilliant! I’ve though about doing the very same thing but I could never figure out how to solve the problem of bumps in the track derailing the truck or clearing the pistons.

I love just how big and beefy it looks - 9 wide really does it justice. I’m not a big fan of the jagged look of the boiler because of the SNOT construction and jumper plates, but that’s just my personal taste and is really just a minor nit-pick.

Fantastic work!

--Tony