 Trains / 29945

Subject:
Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:56:09 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

After tackling a few rigid frame steamers I decided for my next challenge to build an articulated. So I chose one of my favorite Mallets the N&W Y6b.

Brickshelf Gallery after moderation.

The Y6b was known as the “workhorse of the N&W”. Starting with locomotive number 2120 in 1936, the Y6 class would become the final refinement of the 2-8-8-2 design With the completion of locomotive number 2200 in 1952, the Y6b was the last mainline US manufactured steam locomotive produced.

The Y6b had a starting tractive effort in simple configuration of 152,206 pounds while in the compound mode a tractive effort of 126,838 pounds was achieved. These locomotives delivered 5,500 horsepower. The Y6b locomotive engine weight was 582,900 pounds with 522,850 pounds directly on the drivers.

This was a defiantly a challenging build. It is my largest steam locomotive to date at 6 track lengths (roughly 30 inches) and is 9 wide. And yes it will make tight turns and even go through switches(at slow speed).

One of the hardest parts was building the pilot and trailing trucks. The real Y6’s used outside frame trucks and I wanted to replicate that look without resorting to the standard LEGO wheel sets. The front truck turned out a little bulkier than I would like, but as a consolation they have a nice roller bearing effect when in motion.

Y6b Tenders had side skirting that extended below the tops of the trucks. This became another interesting challenge as I wanted to go for more detail on the tender trucks. But getting a three axial powered truck around turns without interfering with the tender body necessitated some compromise. I think in the future I may build a more detailed unpowered tender for when the locomotive is on static display.

The cab interior is tight but I was able to add a few good details.

Some additional images.

Cale

Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive
[...]

Wow. Just... wow.

I absolutely love this locomotive. Not just because it looks great, but because the way you’ve solved some problems I’ve run into in the past with attaching pilot and rear trucks. I’ve been drooling over this locomotive now for at least a half hour, and it really makes me want to try something at this scale myself.

Of particular interest to me is the way you’ve attached the pilot truck, using the axle of the wheel to attach it to the rest of the locomotive - brilliant! I’ve though about doing the very same thing but I could never figure out how to solve the problem of bumps in the track derailing the truck or clearing the pistons.

I love just how big and beefy it looks - 9 wide really does it justice. I’m not a big fan of the jagged look of the boiler because of the SNOT construction and jumper plates, but that’s just my personal taste and is really just a minor nit-pick.

Fantastic work!

--Tony

[...]

Cale:

That is one sweet looking loco. :-) I happen to be a fan of the jagged boiler look. It gives it that strong, tough, and rough around the edges look. Very nice. I agree with Tony that 9-wide just sets this thing off. It really puts it in scale.

I love the little details. The gold 1x1 rounds for the bell. The guy hanging onto the tender. Things like that really add to the experience for me. Nice work on this one.

-Dave

Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive
That is one sweet looking loco. :-) I happen to be a fan of the jagged boiler look. It gives it that strong, tough, and rough around the edges look. Very nice. I agree with Tony that 9-wide just sets this thing off. It really puts it in scale.

I love the little details. The gold 1x1 rounds for the bell. The guy hanging onto the tender. Things like that really add to the experience for me. Nice work on this one.

-Dave

The boiler design has its advantages and disadvantages. It gives plenty of opportunity to add all the bells and whistles (pun intended) that American steam locomotives had hanging on them. But it does get a little jaggy. Definitely a matter of preference.

My locomotives keep growing. At this rate I’ll soon be joining John Neal in his 12 wide madness. :)

Thank You

Cale

Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive
   I absolutely love this locomotive. Not just because it looks great, but because the way you’ve solved some problems I’ve run into in the past with attaching pilot and rear trucks. I’ve been drooling over this locomotive now for at least a half hour, and it really makes me want to try something at this scale myself.

Thank You

   Of particular interest to me is the way you’ve attached the pilot truck, using the axle of the wheel to attach it to the rest of the locomotive - brilliant! I’ve though about doing the very same thing but I could never figure out how to solve the problem of bumps in the track derailing the truck or clearing the pistons.

The idea for floating the trucks was inspired by Benn Coifman and his struggles with his Hiawatha.

LUGNET Trains 29704

   I love just how big and beefy it looks - 9 wide really does it justice. I’m not a big fan of the jagged look of the boiler because of the SNOT construction and jumper plates, but that’s just my personal taste and is really just a minor nit-pick.

Fantastic work!

--Tony

Thanks