 Trains / 30490
    Re: Hobby Train —Elroy Davis
   (...) I wonder how much of that had to do with it being released without a motor, and right around the same time the end of the 9v line was announced. It's a great set, but I, for one, was disappointed that it pictured locomotives on the box, but (...) (16 years ago, 10-Oct-08, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hobby Train —John Gerlach
   In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote: -snip- (...) As someone in an 8-wide train club, our biggest concern is whether the PF trains will have enough power to pull our heavy trains. We've got our fingers crossed that the new motors / remotes / (...) (16 years ago, 10-Oct-08, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hobby Train —Don Cox
     (...) This is one of the reasons I would have preferred for TLG to continue producing the 9volt system until at least there was a 'working' PF system. Our club continues doing train displays including this Sunday and the next two Sundays. We do our (...) (16 years ago, 11-Oct-08, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Hobby Train —Timothy Gould
     --snip-- (...) --snip-- (...) Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like you're reading the absence of these things as evidence to the contrary. We haven't seen new passenger or cargo wagons for many years and I doubt we'll see them anytime soon unless (...) (16 years ago, 11-Oct-08, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hobby Train —Benn Coifman
     (...) I've heard tales that the rechargeable NXT batteries don't deliver as much punch as alkaline cells, so I would expect similar with rechargeable train batteries. If so, 8 wide will be tough (heck, it is tough enough to pull 8-wide with track (...) (16 years ago, 14-Oct-08, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hobby Train —Anthony Sava
   (...) If I may submit the power of one small Power Functions motor: (URL) a design dreamed up by "Swoofty", which I call the Franken-Swoofty. One small power functions motor is pulling all 6 cars from the official LEGO Santa Fe Super Chief consist. (...) (16 years ago, 14-Oct-08, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Hobby Train —Ram Sreerangam
   This is very smartly done. Couple of points to note though: 1. This would mean a compromise on details inside the engine/car that will power the train. Most of the space will be taken up by the battery and the motors. 2. Wonder how long the battery (...) (16 years ago, 15-Oct-08, to lugnet.trains)