 Trains / 30173
Re: RSS Feed of lugnet.trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:51:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh wrote:

“Ross Crawford” ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com wrote in message news:JxqrzF.13E@lugnet.com...
   In lugnet.trains, Jeramy Spurgeon wrote:
   Hi all,

Aside from coding a feed myself, has anyone come up with an RSS feed of only lugnet.trains? I know that Dan Boger has created a nice feed of all of the posts on Lugnet, but I would like a train specific one, so I can aggregate the posts to Railbricks.com (which just got a little facelift).

ILtco.org has a “What’s new in lugnet.trains?” box that used to work, but doesn’t appear to be working now. Not sure how they were grabbing it, but may be worth asking.

ROSCO

I apologize for the delayed response on this subject, I have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks and ended waaaaaaay behind on e-mail and many other things.

The ILTCO feed (which is working now, sorry about that, LUGNET changed the NNTP port number I was using) is done with a piece of PHP code which accesses the NNTP server. It essentially mimics a News Reader, queries the server and displays the 5 most recent articles.

You are welcome to the PHP code, I wrote it years ago so it isn’t a thing of beauty and it certaintly isn’t how I would do it now but it does work.

Mike

--

Mike Walsh - mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com

Thanks Mike. I’d love to use your PHP snippet, in case the solution I am currently using doesn’t work. I stumbled upon this website:http://www.ponyfish.com/new.html that allows you to generate a feed from any dynamic page. It seems to be working fine, though the ‘free’ version of it only updates every 8 hours, so the feed on railbricks.com can be a little behind. I’ve put it on the forums area of railbricks.com, which you can see in action here: http://www.railbricks.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=29

Thanks again,

-Jeramy