 Trains / 30113
Re: LDD - MOC Steam Engine inspired by Streamlined Hudson
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:04:43 GMT

snip - In lugnet.trains, Ted Andes wrote:
   After some work this weekend, my LDD ‘Streamlined Hudson’ has improved quite a bit. I scrapped the first one and created another MOC’s with two stylings; a Dreyfuss and the the Empire State Express.

The Empire State Express is the one that I am most pleased with. I used the round-plates to simulate the BBB flanged and blind drivers I plan to use, but I’ll probably have to do some mods to the clearance when building in reality. LDD also seemed to have a problem with connector pins in assembly, so I used cross axle pieces to help link them up.

When building, I would also use the 1x3 curved pieces on cab, light grey curves on top of the Empire, and do more detailing on the underside. I’d also work on the piston shafts and a possible dome front. In addition for the Dreyfuss, I’d need to work on the color scheme and the top a bit more.

Thanks again to everyone who helped fill me in on the essentials of building a great steam engine in this thread. As you can see, the results are much improved.

The Empire State Express

I’m not sure who ‘Junkpile’ is yet on Brickshelf, but I was flattered to see the LLD New York Central “Empire Express” Engine I designed above put into the ABS. To their credit, they also designed a very nice tender to go along with it, and made some great decals. If a Lugnet user, how well did it build and how well does it run? I also see that you got working linkages to go along with it, and I’m curious to see some shots of the undercarrage articulation around a curve. I would also suggest going with the gray BBB wheel-set for the drive wheels as they would match more closely to the actual engine.

Thanks, Ted Andes