 Trains / 29081
Re: LDD - MOC Steam Engine inspired by Streamlined Hudson
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:16:43 GMT

Tony - Thanks for all the great info!

   In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote: The number one thing you should do, in my opinion, is visit http://www.bigbenbricks.com/. Ben Fleskes, a Lugnet member, sells custom LEGO-compatible steam engine wheels, among a few other things, which I feel is a necessity when it comes to building steam engines. If it weren’t for Ben’s wheels, I never would have gotten into trains.

That will be #1 on my to-do list... Very nice.

   You’re welcome to check out my train designs if you wish. They all use Ben’s custom wheels, though each one uses them a little differently. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=174415

If you’d like more advice on how the different methods of negotiating turns with steam engines, or building steam engines in general, I suggest you view the presentation Ben Beneke gave to Brickfest PDX this year. (I hope you don’t mind me posting this, Ben)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/presentations/BrickfestPDX2007/brickfest07_steam_engines.pdf

Ben is an extremely gifted steam builder, so do yourself a favor and check out his stuff, if you haven’t already: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12156

I had been digging around the internet, but had not come across Ben’s presentation yet. Very, very helpful and great building strategies.

Awesome MOC’s from you and Ben. Very inspiring. Since posting the first message, another steam engine I found in brickshelf that I really like is Tim Gould’s “NSW Class 38 Streamlined”. Naturally, a lot of great brick-work there. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=173784

I really like the aesthetics of his solution to the piston/pony-truck and motor placement. It also really drives home the aestehtics of the drive wheels, and making my modle into a true 4-6-4. In my LDD design, the chassis is what is really holding it back. When redesigning to use Ben’s wheels, this should open it up for more piston/pony-truck options.

   I would also suggest using some curved bricks on the roof of the cab. The Dreyfuss Hudson design had a gently sloping curved roof that would be served well by 1x3 curved slopes without studs (that’s what I’m using).

In addition to Ben’s wheels, that is another deficiancy of the LDD. Did not find any 1x3 curved slopes. When building in reality, I’ll need to track some down on-line... or canabalize the ‘Holiday Train’.

Thanks again for all the input. Can’t wait to see your finished Dreyfus (and I’m sure you can’t wait for those parts to get there to do it).

-Ted