 Trains / 30098
30097  |  30099
Subject:
Maryland & Pennsylvania RR NW2 Diesel Switcher #81
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:35:53 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Maryland & Pennsylvania NW2 Diesel Switcher #81

Originally formed in 1901 from several narrow gauge lines, the now standard gauge Maryland & Pennsylvania RR railroad (Ma & Pa to its fans) traced a meandering seventy-seven mile route to connect Baltimore Md. and York Pennsylvania, two cities only forty-five highway miles apart. The line’s surveyors could hardly have chosen a more picturesque route and was often referred to as the “model railroad built to the scale of 12 inches to the foot”.

The Ma & Pa like many railroads began to dieselize it line with the purchase of an EMD SW1 #70 and 2 EMD NW2 Switchers #80 and 81. The switchers suited the Ma & Pa’s tight curves well and served for many years. In 1997 NW2 #81 was donated to the The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and is the subject of my latest Train MOC.

Brickshelf Gallery

As with my previous Diesel I couldn’t resist putting an accurate prime mover under the hood. In this case an EMD 12-cylinder, model 567.

Any one interested in learning more about the Ma & Pa can find info on the The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society web site.

Cale