 Trains / 3009
Re: Look at this orange car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 05:17:25 GMT

Frank Filz wrote in message <38274170.C33@mindspring.com>...
Erik Olson wrote:

I got some parts from an auction today and inside a bag of Age 3-5 parts
(mostly
Animals on Parade type stuff, minus the awesome yellow fences) there were • 2
orange boxy half-open things. Instant train car!

I added a snapshot to my trains page on • http://www.inch.com/~olsone/trains.html

Or just http://www.inch.com/~olsone/trains/images/traincar1.jpg

I've never seen these parts anywhere before, but they match #3110 Four • Animal
Friends ($7 S@H only.) More reason to notice the Scala lineup.

I don't know the jargon name for this type of open payload car yet. Can • anybody
inform me?

That's a nice little gondola. It looks like those parts come from the
Scala set 3110 Four Animal Friends (which comes with one of them and
costs USD 7.00 from S@H). No if only there would be a matching wall
section so that one could make a longer car. It looks like the piece is
6x6x2 is that correct?

I just received my S@H order with 2 3110, so I duplicated this gondola. The
box is actually 7x7x3. I also noticed that 2 of these are available in a
blue color in 3119.

One oddity is that since it is 7x7, there is a cross shaped pattern of tubes
on the bottom which are centered on each axis. This means that you need to
sit the box 1 plate above the  top of the wheelsets to clear the
perpendicular cross pattern. It does make up into a nice little (well, not
so little since it's 7 wide) car. The extra thick corners on the boxes make
for nice looking ribbing on the final gondola.

Thanks Erik for turning us on to this part.

Frank