 Trains / 2945
Re: Magnetic couplers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:21:34 GMT

John Warren wrote:

I was just curious. Has anyone experimented to see how many cars can be pulled
by an engine before the couplers pulled apart from the weight of the cars?
Especially when talking about going up inclines.  I just wondered if the
magnets are strong enough to pull a very large train.

John Warren

I've pulled 25 (2 4 wheel truck) on the flat, and 15 with a running
start up a 2 plate per track grade.

What gets you here is jerk. To successfully start a long train, first
reverse the engine to bunch the slack. If you try to start quickly
you'll always part a coupler close to the engine.

Bunching slack is prototypical...