 Trains / 2949
Re: Magnetic couplers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 05:33:46 GMT

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 03:44:27 GMT, "Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

<snip>

I could have gotten my car count to 30 if I used the articulated container car
and counted each unit as a car, but that felt like cheating. That car is very
light per unit.

++Lar

Counting spine cars as multiple cars is indeed a prototypical
practice.

Train length on the NS computers is calculated by the number of cars
you have. Once you get over 75 cars, you get the max pay rate. You
might have a rather long train that has say, 34 spine cars, well you
won't get the max rate if you put 34 in the computer when you put off.
So, as other trains watch you by (looking for defects) they count
either the axles or the trucks. Every two sets of trucks equals one
car. This info is usually relayed to the train over the radio so they
can get an accurate count when the put off in the computer, and get
the max pay rate. :-)

So, a five section spine car with 6 trucks counts as 3 cars. Three
section spine cars with 4 trucks count as 2 cars. There are of course
other articulated cars, and they are counted the same way, but 5 and 3
section cars are the most common, around here anyway.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.