 Trains / 29384
29383  |  29385
Subject:
YA Steam locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2007 06:34:22 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Steam engine full gallery and Heavyweight passenger cars full gallery (once moderated)

As promised, here’s the information on my ten wheeler steam locomotive. The prototype of the locomotive was built 100 years ago for the Northern Pacific (click here for more info). It was retired in the mid 50’s to a park in eastern Minnesota, and restored in the late 70’s and early 80’s by the Minnesota Transportation Museum (MTM). As a volunteer I spent a chunk of time working on the locomotive in various capacities (much as I love steam, I now understand first hand why railroads were eager to move to diesel). It was a common workhorse during its career and survived to the end of steam only because it was relatively lightweight and the branch-line bridges couldn’t hold heavier engines. Still though, I think the prototype has good lines.

The model incorporates many good ideas from many builders, but more on that in a second. The locomotive is mostly 8 wide, with the cylinders actually going out to 9 wide. The tender is 7 wide, to make the transition to 6 wide cars almost unnoticeable. The engine runs very well, even on uneven track. At least thus far, it has no problem running through switches leading or trailing (though I almost always run it through the straight portion).

As I mentioned earlier, the key to this engine running so well is the fact that I split the pilot truck, as per Tony Sava’s build of Ben Fleskes’s design. So the first axle of the pilot pivots, while the second pilot axle and all of the drivers are fixed to the boiler. The first two sets of drivers are blind, so it is effectively a two axle engine. You can see details of the underside and pilot in the gallery. The original version used a plate with pin (part 2476) to hold the pilot on, that would occasionally fall off, but the engine runs fine without the first set of wheels. Anticipating this problem, I made a mount so that I could pull off the pivoted wheels and mount the pilot to the frame. I have since modified the engine, using a technic plate and pin, I’ll see how well this works at the next show.

It is worth noting, that I built and tested the running gear (several times over) before going any further on the locomotive. Then, once I had it working well, I made temporary structures to find the limits when on curves so that I could space the cab relative to the tender. Only then did I continue on to the design of the full locomotive.

Moving up top, the cab borrows a great idea from Ross Neil to extend the curved slopes to an eight wide cab. While the top of the boiler borrows from Tim Gould’s boiler. While I had used a similar trick to build the orange nose on my Milwaukee F-7’s, it had not occurred to me to flip it up for a boiler. Still, my snot is different, and I cheaped out for the underside, using normal 45 degree slopes flipped upside down (which also allowed for the white edges on the running boards). Taking advantage of the outward facing studs for the top slope of the boiler, I used 1x2x1 panels to top off the running boards. The top of the boiler has all of the significant equipment, notice the detail on the bell (the yoke is a little out of proportion, but... it’s all Lego).

The cab is where I did the most detailing. I wanted to be able to fit an engineer and a fireman in the cab. The roof lifts off to see the details in side, while in a few of the photos I removed some of the walls for ease of photographing it. I squeezed A LOT in. It has a moving throttle, sight glass, steam gauge, fireman’s injector valve, two brake handles on the engineer’s side, several red valve handles, and a shelf above the firebox door to keep the oil warm (sadly, the Lego oil can does not fit over a single stud, sigh). While I had a few designs for a Johnson bar, they just wouldn’t fit. Ah well. I showed it to my wife and she said something like, “why are you putting so much detail in there? No one will ever see it.” Guess she doesn’t know the AFOL universe (but still, she’s a good woman). Underneath the cab, you can see the staybolts exposed on the bottom of the firebox, where the jacketing stops. I wanted to use plates pointing outward, but chose headlight bricks so they wouldn’t interfere with the drivers.

Like a proper Tyco locomotive, the motors are actually in the tender. Up top, as you can see in the gallery, I built the coalbunker with a removable coal board (the front piece that holds the coal in) and removable coal. So if I ever wanted to make it a static park display on a layout, it is a quick change. At NMRA a few people commented on the wedge plates used to build up the coal pile (evident in shot 57, while some of the other shots predate the finished coal pile). In back, open the hatch to the water tank and you’ll find water (trans clear plates on blue bricks).

To complement this engine, I rebuilt my heavyweight triple combine (also based on a prototype at MTM) to actually have three axle trucks (as per my LDD heavyweights). I then built two more cars- a coach and an observation- to round out the train. These two cars are fairly close to the LDD design and are not based on any specific cars. I think the NP pine-tree paint scheme looks good in Lego (as a bonus it lets you conserve on dark green too) and I’m sure at some point the actual locomotive pulled a similar string of passenger cars.

Comments, questions, etc. are welcome.

Benn

Steam engine full gallery and Heavyweight passenger cars full gallery (once moderated)