 Trains / 29383
29382  |  29384
Subject:
Train Spotters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2007 05:43:36 GMT

Q.  What do spacemen do on their days off?
A.  Train spotting of course.

The train spotting triplets are mindstorm controlled by the same brick that runs
the stopping of trains at the main station. I got the idea after seeing some
cows (I only had enough bricks to build one cow)

On my 2005 layout the mindstorm would control 3 trains on the outer loop,
stopping them at the station using point motors to switch power.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mephisto03/public_html/BodVille/images/mindstorm/point/point3.jpg
Light dependent resisters detect the trains.

Recently I have been isolating the track near the station (no power) and the
mindstorm just starts them long enough to push them back onto the powered
section of the loop. This works much better for long periods.

Anyway, I edited a movie showing the triplets in action
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Movies/trainspotters_13meg.wmv

or low quality YouTube (once moderated)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bodville

There are also some pictures