 Trains / 29135
Re: Reply from Chris Di MasiRe: Hobby Train & 9V motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 19:58:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --snip--

Chris has asked me to post the following as he’s having troubles posting to lugnet at the moment

Paul and David,

Yes, the models were tweaked after they were submitted by the LEGO fans. Most of the tweaks involved removing unsupported building techniques (the crocodile example that you noticed requires the builder to take apart the little steering wheel assemblies) and some models were tweaked to increase the strength of the models. David’s problems stems from the fact that the LEGO designers didn’t think that my original design was strong enough.

http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/trolley_f_34.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/trolley_bottom.jpg

My loco (23_loco) will suffer from the same problem if someone tries to attach the detailed dummy motor and a 9v motor. To make everything fit in the original design, I pushed the gas tank forward by 1/2 a stud.

http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/engine_f_34.jpg

Like Tim, I didn’t have all of the bricks in the set, but I built the models, making a few color substitutions here and there, first. Then I created the LDRAW models from the LEGO brick models. I actually re- rendered one of my models because I discovered that I had used too many red 1x8’s bricks in one of my models. The LDD files that I sent to LEGO were the same as the LDRAW files that were used to create the renderings. My 23_loco and my 14_trolleycar were modified to eliminate unsupported building techniques, and to strengthen the models. We discussed the changes, but in the end, LEGO went with the stronger builds. I have uploaded a version of my 23_loco with a coach to my Factory gallery (acjmasi) that is more faithful to my original design. I’ll see if I can post an alternate trolley model to my gallery too.

Sincerely, Chris

Chris, Thanks for the reply explaining what has happened. That was very helpful.

I think the Hobby Trains are great - it would be nice to see other designs/LDD files using the same parts. David