 Trains / 29127
Re: Hobby Train & 9V motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 16:55:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, David Graham wrote:
   I have tried to fit the 9V motor to the Hobby Train Tram. The tram has 2 bogies on 8 studs long, the other 9 studs long. The picture shows the motor, which is 10 studs long, replacing the 8 stud bogie. Therefore the “buffers” have to extend 1 stud from the baseplate on either end - the picture does not appear to show this. The only way I could it wo work & look good was to replace the 9 stud bogie miss out a small part of the under carriage detail and replace the 28x6 baseplate with an older style with more holes. I’m not happy with this result - the pictures show 9V motors - has anyone else had problems? David

Haven’t gotten to that model yet but, for a less drastic example, loco #05 (one of my favorites) does require a tweak to add a motor because the 2x6 plate on the base blocks the hole for the motor pin. Easy enough to fix with the left over parts in the box.

It does make you wonder if they missed these things when the rendered the box art with the motors or if the designs themselves where tweaked after they did the renders in an attempt to unify the palette for all 30 models.

I don’t think I’m giving anything away to say that it was the latter but not for that reason. The renders are from earlyish last year, the final models are from much more recently.

   For example, maybe it’s just me but in the box rendering the undercarriage of the Crocodile engine looks like it has some kind of small wheel mounted behind the fuel tank (you can kind of see it here). In the LDD instructions instead there’s a plate w/ clip and a round 1x2 plate mounted there.

That is most likely an ‘illegal build’ technique that was removed. The sort of thing we AFOLs do happily but are a big no-no for official sets.

   While I love this set I have so far seen examples of where they must have run out of budget to give full attention to all 30 models. The most common symptom of this is what I perceive to be design compromises (strength/stability/symmetry) in the models that could obviously have been avoided with the many parts left over in the box. It almost seems they weren’t sure of what pieces they’d have left over when they did the designs and then once they unified the palette nobody had the time/money to go back and clean stuff up and really make the most of the extra pieces. It’s like some of the models suffer from “alternate model syndrome” (odd part substitions and compromises expected of alternate models) while the many parts left over in the box clearly suggest some of these compromises really weren’t necessary.

We first received the all the parts in the box after the reviewers of the finished product. Almost all work was done virtually before that and it was a bit hard keeping track of 1000 pieces as you went along.

   I’ve been thinking it might be cool if the community (or the original AFOL designers themselves) could come out with a “remastered” version of the LDD files that still use only the parts in the box for these 30 models but fix all of these little oddities and inconsistencies.

That would be very cool.

   Regardless, I still think it’s a fantastic set, worth every penny, and would love to see more similar sets, even with these (mostly trivial) issues.

-PD

I’m really happy to hear you feel that way.

Tim