 Trains / 2900
Re: Remote Switches & GMLTC main lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:33:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:

I will be using remote
points some time in the early part of next year and can't decide what type of
system would be best.

Depends who you ask :)

I looked over the designs by Ben Fleskes (air) and Leo Dorst (motor), and took
what I thought was the best of both worlds.  I have a writeup, but not good
pictures, at:
http://homepages.together.net/~magnew/modify.htm
I have links to their designs, but Leo's link is dead, and Ben's doesn't have
the pix anymore :(

I've actually been setting up my layout the last couple of dyas for the first
time in a year, and have broken the pneumatics out to really get a system down.
My switches are very small, 3x5 studs by about four bricks high, and only four
studs stick out beyond the switch, so it's good for tight layouts.  My switches
do, however, require disassembling and modifying the switch, which is not
recommended for the ham-fisted.  I suggest NOT using an air storage tank; it'll
just increase the volume of air in the system.  I found a compressor (I only
tried a single-pump system) just didn't have the grapes to move that much air.
I switched back to the simple thumb pump.  Flick the switch lever, give two to
three pumps, and the point is switched.  Much faster than waiting for the
compressor to build up steam.  My longest hose run is about six feet.  I butt
the ends together with flex-system rigid tubing cut into 1/2" lengths.  Technic
beams work great to hold the hoses into position, and instill some semblance of
order to the rat's nest of tubing and wires.

Don't be shy with that pneumatic hose - you'll need a LOT of it.  I have none
left longer than eight inches.  I'd guess the layout has about 25 feet of the
stuff.  I'll take pix and post when I'm done - I'm actually setting it up as a
warm-up to a train show I'm setting up at next weekend.  Gonna show those
Lionel boys a thing or two :)

Big thanks to my sig. other who has actually gotten into LEGO while all these
boxes have been taking over her house.

Good luck,
Matt
www.enginemusic.com