 Trains / 2894
Re: Remote Switches & GMLTC main lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 01:25:43 GMT

John N already answered but I will butt in too..

Mike Poindexter wrote:

#1:  On the two mainlines the GMLTC uses, is one designated freight and one
passenger?

I'm gonna go with "no". I know John said "yes" but from what I saw when
running at shows, it was whatever people felt like running. The station
in the corner doesn't really have a lot of platforms to worry about...

I am curious, since I can't see how to (easily) get the outside
track to cross the inside track, which would make it difficult to have a
station be able to work for both sides of the track without having the main
lines run through the middle of the loading tracks.

Both mains pretty much run through the middle of the yard. There's only
one station anyway, and it's on the outside.

Does anybody have any suggestions which way to look?  I think I can get either
system to work, but I would prefer not to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.
By the way, all my points are the new harder to switch ones.

So are GMLTC ones. But they cheat. Turns out that if you don't push the
lever really hard, the points don't lock in place, but ARE far enough
over that there in no problem with flanges picking at points.

So they use small pneumo cylinders mounted at just the right angle that
a full throw in one direction puts the points just on the edge of
locking in one direction, and a full throw in the other direction puts
the points just on the edge of locking in the other. Since the pneumo
adds some friction, the points tend to stay where you put them even when
they aren't locked in place and there isn't any pressure in the lines.