 Trains / 2891
Re: Remote Switches & GMLTC main lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:28:56 GMT

#2:  I had heard that the GMLTC crew was working on a pneumatic system for
remote point control, but it is not yet working.  I will be using remote
points some time in the early part of next year and can't decide what type of
system would be best.  With pneumatics, you don't strip gears, burn out mini-
motors and get to make long runs with tubing, which is much cheaper than
electrical runs.  Also, a switch and a ram are cheaper than a motor.  Of
course, a motor would still be needed to flip the switch to use mindstorms for
control, unless somebody creates an electric pneumatic switch.

Does anybody have any suggestions which way to look?  I think I can get either
system to work, but I would prefer not to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.
By the way, all my points are the new harder to switch ones.

Mike, it depends.  Are you a lego purist?

Space to protect LEGO purists

If you are not a lego purist, then open up the back of the point and hack off
the tab.  I know that there is at least 2 web pages with descriptions of the
insides of the switches.  Then, you can use the small pn. cylinder to power the
points.  You need to glue parts together to make the switch machines, but they
are all common parts (black plates mostly)

It works quite well.  I can also reccomend a larger air pump and tank than LEGO
make if you don't want to be forever pumping.  If you have long runs of pipe,
expect to use a fair volume of air each time you switch a point.

For a dual tank/compressor, a brand new wead sprayer provides all the parts in
1 handy bottle.  It should run you around 15 dollars, and they work quite well.
You will need to drill/adapt the outlet of the sprayer to the piping you are
going to use.  If you plan on having -long- runs of piping that are at pump
pressure, I would recomend going to a larger diameter pipe.  If you are using
the pvc pipe that you can get at hardware stores, they slide inside one another
quite well.

James Powell