 Trains / 28907
Re: Another LaCrosse Show in the books
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:53:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Kelly III wrote:

Couple of ideas out of the show that I'd be interested in a wider group giving
input into.  Since we've been around forever now, when people ask me about how
to start a Lego train club, especially for teenage kids, I'm always a little out
of my element.  We've spawned a Lego layout in LaCrosse from one fellow already
and I'm going to rattle Mr. Neal's cage by saying we also spawned the two other
smaller Lego layouts that exhibited with us this year.  But do I have any advice
on a parent trying to put together a type of activity club like the high school
model railroaders I see at some shows?  Not really.  With the advent of the
battery trains, I'm not even sure how or if I should encourage it.

i would deffinitly encourage it. anytime new people join a hobby it's a fresh
set of eyes and ideas. who knows the solution to the battery trains becoming
usefull may come from someone you talked to last weekend.

Secondly, if the fellow who talked to the show organizer comes with his Lego
layout next year, and we see the LaCrosse club bring their layout again and we
drive down there with three layouts, we're going to have about 1/3rd of the show
floor in Lego train layouts.  I am thinking it may be time to start thinking
about how we'd organize an actual Lego Train Show instead of crashing the Model
train show and winning all of their awards.  Anyone in this group ever put
together a Lego train show or a Model train show that would be willing to share
some insight into what sort of organization is needed and the rough outline of
the project?

quite honestly it's extreemly easy once you find a location. when i did a multi
group show in chicago with niltc,michianalug and indylug here's how i went about
it.

find a location

map the location so you know the total avalable space.

find your clubs and other show particapants

input your layout on the map you made of the location "your the organiser so you
get first dibs" then get layout sizes from other particapants to use as a guide
to input the other layouts on the map maintaining a minimum of 6-10ft between
layouts per your local fire code. "ask your local fire marshal for the code.
  if everything fits great! if not try moving layouts around and or asking
layouts to change shape or size. obviously some layouts like gmltc and tcltc are
hard planned so input those first. after all of the layouts a situated mark out
some areas for tables with MOC's and or flyers exc.

once the layouts are input on the map and they fit don't change it, even to add
a layout. this will only drive you crazy if you do. encourage people to bring
moc's for the tables no matter what theme.

advertise! post flyers anywhere you buy lego, childrens museums exc. be creative
and don't forget the local lego store!

show time!

show up early and mark out the layout locations. a second hand for this will be
a pluss. if the tables are not going to be in the way put those in place with a
pile of moc cards on each. be sure to cover the tables with table cloths or
something to both protect the table and make the table look better.

help other clubs and particapants find there spots when the arrive. keep in mind
you will only have about 1/4 of the time you would normally have to set up your
stuff so tell your club so they can plan to setup without you. several printed
copies of the show map will help everyone.

i know this sounds like alot of work but it really isn't. when i did the
planning for my show both years, it only took me a couple extra mins each night
for email and the inital hr or so to map the location. i would say i spent 10-12
hrs total on planning. like i said above the hard part is finding a location.

i hope this helps,
ondrew

Thanks from your friendly neighborhood lurker who can't even figure out how to
sign in under his member number.

-J3

(You know I love ya Neal.)