 Trains / 28901
Re: Another LaCrosse Show in the books
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:56:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Kelly III wrote:
   Seems like this is about all I post about now.

We’ve completed another LaCrosse show. It was nice have John Neal down there so I could send anyone who asked me about how to start a Lego train club over to him.

Thanks!

   I also sent anyone who asked how to butcher Lego bricks to make things look more to scale.

I sent them HERE:-)

   Model building questions of course, I sent to his son.

Of course!

   In all of the time I’ve been doing the Lacrosse show with GMLTC, I don’t think I’ve ever been able to snare the new paper reporter for so long. The craziness was that for a change it was the photographer who was MIA. But since we established a decent repore with the reporter, I’ll think I’ll work that angle next year to maybe get a preview piece in the paper instead of the front page of the local section on the Sunday paper.

I think you schmoozed her too long-- it seemed to have affected her reporting. Or was J-1 actually quoted correctly when he said, “I’ve been playing with Legos since I was 3. Why stop now?” LOL “Legos”!

   I was a little disappointed, I kinda felt Mr. Neal and son could have / should have won an award for their layout.

Thanks, J-3. Maybe bigger IS actually better after all?

   It’s nice that it’s all square now and it’s probably closer to done than we are. Took away some good ideas about how we might make the town a little more lively, and some printed material that we should have on hand.

Couple of ideas out of the show that I’d be interested in a wider group giving input into. Since we’ve been around forever now, when people ask me about how to start a Lego train club, especially for teenage kids, I’m always a little out of my element. We’ve spawned a Lego layout in LaCrosse from one fellow already and I’m going to rattle Mr. Neal’s cage by saying we also spawned the two other smaller Lego layouts that exhibited with us this year.

Hey, well, WE took a page out of YOUR playbook by running some fine MOCs on our layout that were brought to the show by AFOLs. We HAD to run one guy’s trains (all 8 wide:-), because it wouldn’t fit through on YOUR layout:-)

   But do I have any advice on a parent trying to put together a type of activity club like the high school model railroaders I see at some shows? Not really. With the advent of the battery trains, I’m not even sure how or if I should encourage it.

Secondly, if the fellow who talked to the show organizer comes with his Lego layout next year, and we see the LaCrosse club bring their layout again and we drive down there with three layouts, we’re going to have about 1/3rd of the show floor in Lego train layouts. I am thinking it may be time to start thinking about how we’d organize an actual Lego Train Show instead of crashing the Model train show and winning all of their awards. Anyone in this group ever put together a Lego train show or a Model train show that would be willing to share some insight into what sort of organization is needed and the rough outline of the project?

Interesting question. Currently, many LTCs show at the NMRA National Convention these past years- you remember THAT show, huh, J-3? (the GMLTC was the first LTC to show at the NMRA National Convention)

But is there critical mass yet to host an independent LEGO train show. I’m not sure. Speaking as one who has attended all of the ILTCO ones, they have worked out just great in my mind.

Thanks from your friendly neighborhood lurker who can’t even figure out how to sign in under his member number.

-J3

You are the ungeekiest geek I’ve ever known, J-3!

JOHN AKA J-2