 Trains / 28900
28899  |  28901
Subject:
Another LaCrosse Show in the books
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:13:47 GMT

Seems like this is about all I post about now.

We've completed another LaCrosse show.  It was nice have John Neal down there so
I could send anyone who asked me about how to start a Lego train club over to
him.  I also sent anyone who asked how to butcher Lego bricks to make things
look more to scale.  Model building questions of course, I sent to his son.

In all of the time I've been doing the Lacrosse show with GMLTC, I don't think
I've ever been able to snare the new paper reporter for so long.  The craziness
was that for a change it was the photographer who was MIA.  But since we
established a decent repore with the reporter, I'll think I'll work that angle
next year to maybe get a preview piece in the paper instead of the front page of
the local section on the Sunday paper.

I was a little disappointed, I kinda felt Mr. Neal and son could have / should
have won an award for their layout.  It's nice that it's all square now and it's
probably closer to done than we are.  Took away some good ideas about how we
might make the town a little more lively, and some printed material that we
should have on hand.

Couple of ideas out of the show that I'd be interested in a wider group giving
input into.  Since we've been around forever now, when people ask me about how
to start a Lego train club, especially for teenage kids, I'm always a little out
of my element.  We've spawned a Lego layout in LaCrosse from one fellow already
and I'm going to rattle Mr. Neal's cage by saying we also spawned the two other
smaller Lego layouts that exhibited with us this year.  But do I have any advice
on a parent trying to put together a type of activity club like the high school
model railroaders I see at some shows?  Not really.  With the advent of the
battery trains, I'm not even sure how or if I should encourage it.

Secondly, if the fellow who talked to the show organizer comes with his Lego
layout next year, and we see the LaCrosse club bring their layout again and we
drive down there with three layouts, we're going to have about 1/3rd of the show
floor in Lego train layouts.  I am thinking it may be time to start thinking
about how we'd organize an actual Lego Train Show instead of crashing the Model
train show and winning all of their awards.  Anyone in this group ever put
together a Lego train show or a Model train show that would be willing to share
some insight into what sort of organization is needed and the rough outline of
the project?

Thanks from your friendly neighborhood lurker who can't even figure out how to
sign in under his member number.

-J3

(You know I love ya Neal.)