 Trains / 28523
Re: Strange rails - found the answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:39:12 GMT

Hello again

Today I found the answer to the question of these strange colors for otherwise
very common parts.

All of you stating that these parts must be some kind of test mould were right!

As I mentioned in my first post, I bought these parts together with a lot of
other sixties and seventies stuff at a Swiss online auction platform. Today I
had a phone call with the seller of this lot. Here's what he told me.

As a child he got these rails from an employee of a Swiss company that
manufactures moulds. The moulds The LEGO Company used to manufacture these rails
have been made by this Swiss Company which still exists today but doesn't work
for TLC any more. Therefore I won't mention the name of that company here.
Furthermore the seller told me that besides these rails he received also some
other parts with the part number 3461. These propellors were also manufactured
with the help of moulds from that Swiss company.

I found some 37 of these propellors in red. At first I didn't pay attention to
them because it is a common sight with old LEGO stuff to have some of these
propellors. Only after I was told that these parts never came with a set I
checked peeron for them and realized that red ones too were never officially
produced in that color. Only white, light gray, black and yellow ones were
available through official sets. Nevertheless these parts must have found their
way to collectors all over the world. At least there are some for sale on
bricklink.

OK, here's a picture of the rails:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2274186>>

The rest of the pictures can be seen at my brickshelf gallery after moderation:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=229451>>

Thanks for your contributing to answer the questions and best regards

Beat