 Trains / 28536
Re: Strange rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:39:27 GMT

Thanks for the pics Luca!

Interestingly enough this topic recently came up for discussion.

I have a 1:87 scale car garage (first released November 1961) with a red door
(Phil Traviss of UK also has one).  Even though all catalogs of the early 1960's
show red doors, 99.99% of all 1:87 plastic garages of the 1960's are all gray.
Both Dave Shifflett (USA) and Kurt Richter (Germany) have this same garage with
a black door.  This 1961 date is the earliest date (that I am aware of) of the
use of red (as well as black) for prototypes.

However, 2 weeks ago Eric Strand brought this to my attention:

http://my.qxl.dk/accdb/viewItem.asp?IDI=416049118

(click on one of the 5 pictures below the image)

These are Norwegian road signs of 1955.  In all other continental European
countries they have gray bases (in at least 5 shades of gray).  But these have
red bases.  Clark Stephens thinks that they too are early test prototype bases.
However, I need to see more Norwegian road signs of the era to confirm that or
not.  After all Swedish road signs of that era are made with yellow plastic for
the signs, but with gray bases.

So the use of red (and sometimes black) as a prototype color, goes back at least
until 1961, and possibly as far back as 1955.

Cheers,
Gary Istok