 Trains / 28489
Re: How long will train 9v motors last?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:42:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
   we’re preparing a museum show (our first). The trains will run on two layouts, driven by some timer & RCX. We’re currently discussing how often and how long should each loco run. Are there any estimates how long will the 9v trains motor last? Anybody has experience with such long-running automated layout? (long running = few weeks).

NELUG set up a large, permanent layout for the See Science Center in Manchester, NH. The layout has a few small trolleys that are running all day long, whenever the museum is open. I’ve heard reports that the motors are burning out at a fairly steady clip - I don’t have the exact figures, but it is on the order of one motor every couple weeks.

On the other hand, our club has also run numerous weekend-long train shows with long(!) trains running at low speeds almost continuously for 7 or 8 hour days, and as far as I know we’ve never burnt out a single motor.

So your mileage may vary. It may depend on the speed at which you run the motors, or it may help to swap out locomotives once or twice per day to give them a rest. You should definitely plan to turn off the power overnight if you can.