 Trains / 28299
Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:42:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Schuler wrote:

   At this point I am forced to admit that nearly everything I know about trains comes from “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad” and “The Little Red Caboose,” with additional blanks filled in by Thomas the Tank Engine.

Well, confession is good for the soul, but I’m curious as to what exactly you have learned from these sources, Dave!

Some possiblities from “I’ve Been Working On The Railroad”:
  • “I’ve been working on the railroad, all the live-long day” (a job with a railroad entails loong hours)
  • “I’ve been working on the railroad, just to pass the time away” (Curious. Implies that working for the railroad is voluntary without pay, and for the presumably rich and bored.)
  • “Can’t you hear the whistle blowing, rise up so early in the morn’” (loong ROTTEN hours)
  • “Can’t you hear the captain shouting, Dinah, blow your horn!” (whoa, who is “Dinah”)
  • “Someone’s in the kitchen with Dinah, someone’s in the kitchen I kno-o-o-ow” (Hello! Who’s with Dinah, and how’d they both suddenly get into a kitchen??)
  • “Someone’s in the kitchen with Dinah, strummin’ on the ol’ banjo” (Well, whoever this someone is, they are apparently quite musical)
  • “Singing fee fie fiddly eye o, fee fie fiddly eye O O O O, fee fie fiddly eye OOOO, strummin’ on the ol’ banjo!” (He either: a. isn’t too good with writing lyrics, or 2. forgot them).
Frankly, this song actually raises more questions for me than it really answers.

As for the The Little Red Caboose; this story is rife with misinformation! Chiefly, the brakes on a caboose wouldn’t prevent a train from slipping down a long, tall mountain. Careful with that dubious source material, Dave!

As for Thomas and his friends; they provide a lot of insight into the human condition, but I’m not sure how reliable they are at providing useful information about railroads. You might want to do some fact checking with data gleaned from this source as well.

But overall, I’m glad that you are introducing your son to the world of trainstrainstrains, Dave! One doesn’t really want one’s son growing up with his head in the clouds (of space:-)

JOHN