 Trains / 28293
Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 04:15:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Dave Schuler wrote:
   Recently while on a walk with my son, I took some pictures of a few train cars that have been sort of on display in my town for at least all of the 3 1/2 years we’ve lived here. They’re clean and looked-after, to judge by the lack of grafitti, vandalism, and garbage, but I have no idea why they’re there or who owns them. The track on which they’re located doesn’t appear to be especially active, but I’ve seen them at different points along, say, a 200-yard stretch of it.

Anyway, the caboose I can identify readily enough, but I wasn’t sure about this one. Also, this piece of apparatus is on an adjacent track. Any idea of what it is?

I ask because, of course, my son asked what they are, and I told him that I’d consult with experts and report back.

Thanks for any info/input you can provide!

Dave!

The Penn Central car is a transfer caboose. Here is a Wikipedia page with a description about half way down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caboose

At this point I am forced to admit that nearly everything I know about trains comes from “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad” and “The Little Red Caboose,” with additional blanks filled in by Thomas the Tank Engine. I wouldn’t even have known how to go about researching this without your information--thanks very much!

No problem and I’m glad I could help. I was going through some old issues of Model Railroader the other week looking for some inspiration and came across a model of a Southern Pacific transfer caboose. I thought it looked neat so added it to my list of things I’d eventually like to build. So when I looked at your photo I immediately recognized it.

   I’m not sure about the other. It’s most likely some type of Maintenance of way equipment. What type I don’t know.

The consensus seems to be a spike driver/puller, so I’ll go with that.

Thanks again for everyone’s responses! Now, when my son asks that the teal car is, I can tell him. He likes the red caboose, but a “special” caboose would be even cooler to him.

Dave!

Sweet

Cale