 Trains / 28286
    Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Dave Schuler
   Recently while on a walk with my son, I took some pictures of a few train cars that have been sort of on display in my town for at least all of the 3 1/2 years we've lived here. They're clean and looked-after, to judge by the lack of grafitti, (...) (18 years ago, 24-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Jeffrey Jarvis
     The teal one would probaly be a type of caboose. Mind you there are a bunch of different designs out there, some of which were for special purposes. This was probaly a work train related one. However on the other hand,the peice of equipment, I have (...) (18 years ago, 25-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Rich Stehnach
     --- Jeffrey Jarvis <jwjarvis@mstar.net> wrote: However on the (...) Spike driver/puller? (18 years ago, 25-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Ross Crawford
     (...) As it appears to have a compressor on board, my guess would be either a spike remover or a spot tamper, but can't be sure. I'll ask around. Merry Christmas! ROSCO (18 years ago, 25-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Cale Leiphart
   (...) The Penn Central car is a transfer caboose. Here is a Wikipedia page with a description about half way down. (URL) I'm not sure about the other. It's most likely some type of Maintenance of way equipment. What type I don't know. (URL) Cale (18 years ago, 25-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Dave Schuler
   (...) At this point I am forced to admit that nearly everything I know about trains comes from "I've Been Working on the Railroad" and "The Little Red Caboose," with additional blanks filled in by Thomas the Tank Engine. I wouldn't even have known (...) (18 years ago, 25-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Cale Leiphart
     (...) No problem and I'm glad I could help. I was going through some old issues of Model Railroader the other week looking for some inspiration and came across a model of a Southern Pacific transfer caboose. I thought it looked neat so added it to (...) (18 years ago, 25-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —John Neal
   (...) Well, confession is good for the soul, but I'm curious as to what exactly you have learned from these sources, Dave! Some possiblities from "I've Been Working On The Railroad": "I've been working on the railroad, all the live-long day" (a job (...) (18 years ago, 26-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Dave Schuler
   (...) Well, I've always suspected that it's a sort of mnemonic code, like "Ring a Ring of Roses" or "The Pied Piper of Hamlin." As for the "working without pay" bit, I fear that many of the bottom-rung "employees" did exactly that, alas. (...) Of (...) (18 years ago, 26-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Kevin Wilson
   (...) I'd heard that "Ring a Ring of Roses" referred to the markings produced by bubonic plague :-) (...) The original books were based firmly on various railways in the UK (my daughter was ecstatic when we visited the Talyllyn Railway in 1991 and (...) (18 years ago, 27-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —Tim David
   (...) Exactly. Who now knows that Annie and Clarabel are bogie coaches? Tim (18 years ago, 27-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Question for you knowledgeable Train-heads —John Neal
   (...) This reminds me of the modeling dilemma I faced when I first started building Thomas characters in LEGO-- do I model the prototype upon which the character was based, or do I try and faithfully model the character itself? I ended up deciding (...) (18 years ago, 27-Dec-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)