 Trains / 28018
Re: "Big Blue" Pneumatic 4-6-4 engine and tender
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:42:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Manne Granberg-Ohlsson wrote:
   Anyway, have plans for a ‘better’ one, this time using the large pneumatic cylinders, but will wait until I get more BBB wheels ‘cause I don’t want to take this one apart.

Let me know what you think, including any suggestions for improving the functionality/looks of Big Blue

Dave K

Hey David, very awesome! :-) I especially like the way you’ve secured the cylinders, is it strong?

It isn’t the strongest, bot for this application, it keeps the cylinders in direct line with the push rods, so it works. It has the added benefit of keeping the pneumatic tubes more securely fastened to the input/output ports on the cylinder

   Also, pretty neat idea to stop the air at the front using the lever stick.

I saw that somewheres else years ago--probably CSSOH’s...

About the slipping, how about putting rubber bands on the driver wheels? Or would it cause the cylinders to stall?

That’s a fantastic idea! I’ll try. The taper on the BBB wheelsets may pose an issue, but I’ll give it a go...

I actually tried building a pneumatic loco using the large cylinders some time ago: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1578983 The wheels solution sucked though, they were too wide, so I could only have a two wide support, so the axles bended a lot. :-/

I tried mounting the large cylinders on the front of my engine--I relate to the 2 wide support--the big cylinders just ripped apart the entire front end. I have another idea for the big cylinders that I’ll try soon...

   I guess I might have to buy some BBBwheels if I decide to try again.

The BBB wheels are fantastic for this application! And, again an added benefit, they look fantastic

   Thanks for posting this, it’s really inspiring! :-)

Thanks!

   Manne Granberg

Dave K