 Trains / 27957
27956  |  27958
Subject:
Flat Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:07:15 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi,

Since long ago, I feel the need of flat cars for my train collection.

Flat cars are the simpliest cars and that is part of the challenge when you decide to have a try in modeling one (LEGOly speaking) : how to make a nice rail car made only of a base ?

I don’t have the answer, and in fact I think there is not one but many answers.

Another reason to have flat cars are their purpose : to carry loads. Flats cars can carry vehicles (civil or military), containers, and many other things. So you can add great variety in your train composition with a single one type of car.

That’s also why flat cars should remain simple in term of type and number of parts. You have to build a lot of flat cars to have a nice freight train.

So my try is there :

IE user friendly BS gallery

As you can see, it is 6-wide. Well, that’s my choice. It could be discuss for years. I think I’ve heard and read (with a great pleasure as long they were expressed friendly) all the pros and cons about this choice :-). So, let have your own try at 8 or 7 or even 2 wide.

I like very much for 6-wide cars the 2 studs wide steering wheel (30663) as a brake wheel. As it comes in yellow with the Millenium Falcon 4504, that’s simply perfect.

I also tried to keep the design symmetrical. It ease a bit the building instruction process but maybe gives the model a monotonous look. Well, again that’s a personnal choice, I like symmetry.

The base is simply made of three layers of plates with holes and lacks. It may cause fragility but also lightness. The 1x16 technic bricks are there to add rigidity.

The load. I have lot of these nice tricycles. They come in a lot of colors like blue, yellow, white, red,.. If you’re out of ideas (is this possible ? :-) ) just build some models from this gallery, and imagine a three flat cars train fulled with orange forklifts :-).

Regards,

Didier