 Trains / 27696
27695  |  27697
Subject:
TCLTC ILTCO show at the NMRA in Philly wrap up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:13:40 GMT

Well, it has been 2 weeks since the BIG EVENT and so I thought I’d record some thoughts before I forgot everything. (Pics of our stuff from the show HERE)

Ross and I finally left MN at about 9pm on July 4th and drove straight thru. We were building and doing last minute things all day, and finally I thought, “hey, we need to get going!” I got tired at 8am and pulled over for a little nap, but at 10am I was awakened by my cell phone (Hi, Steve:-) and it was back on the road again. We pulled into (finally, after getting way lost) the hotel around 9pm and met up with some AFOLs for a beer (or 2). We made it:-)

Since we only brought what we could bring in our Honda CRV, we only had half a layout with which to work. It is the best half, however, and thanks to Ross’ excellent engineering skilz, everything mechanical went smoothly. The ping-ponging trolley system wasn’t optimal, but that was basically a one-time deal and it worked out well enough. We had hoped to model our own light rail system, but we ended up not having time to either finish the station or the light rail cars themselves. So we ran our Excelsior Trolley, and The Neighborhood Trolley. We also didn’t have time to test out our electrical lines we brought along; that will have to wait for another show somehow.

The show itself was great. Friday was a bit slow, but Saturday was packed. Around noon on Saturday, a fellow comes up to me and introduces himself as my Ashcan brother! What a treat-- Jonathan Lopes took the train down from NY to see the show. Noshing an authentic philly steak sandwich with him at the Reading Terminal Market was certainly a highlight of the trip! A surprise visit from Christina Hitchcock was also a highlight! Heck, riding the SEPTA using my room card as a ticket was awesome (Philly 1776, ILTOC 1). It was fun renewing old AFOL acquaintances, and meeting new AFOLs as well (Howdy PennLUG neighbors Cale, Chris, Mike, & the Matts:-) And of course the raucous Dirty Brickster™ in the parking lot (just kidding, Steve;-) was nuts (sorry, Lar;-) And it was good to have TLG representation as well; thanks to Steve Witt for hanging out with us and buying us all dinner:-d

A BIG thanks to my son, Ross, for carrying the club and making the layout a total hit. His rigging of the Thomas line is nothing less than brilliant; he is now working on including a third siding, which will totally increase the fun we have playing with the minds of tomorrow’s youth;-) Also, Ross’ fountain created a big splash; one family had heard about it elsewhere and came looking for it, expecting some giant waterfall or something-- they were a bit disappointed, but most everyone else enjoyed it. My favorite question (asked more than once): “Is that real LEGO water?” Ross’ Berkshire and Hogwarts Express locos were also a hit; I’m just sorry that I didn’t have time to make proper decals for them:-(

Though the drive was more than brutal (21 hours drive time), but it was worth it and I will cherish the memories. I know other LTCs suffered some calamities, but I hope the overall experience was a positive one for everyone involved. I guess it is now time to get back to building to improve the layout for the soiree in Motortown! Thanks to all who participated and I hope to see you all next year!

JOHN