 Trains / 26869
Re: New Images of 2006 Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:41:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh wrote:
   LEGO has provided ILTCO with some new images of the 2006 Trains. Check them out in the ILTCO Gallery: The new images start after the box images.

http://www.iltco.org/gallery/viewalbum.php?setalbumName=album41

Thanks Mike and ILTCO!

Something just occurred to me and maybe I’m just clueless, but it appears to me that the wheels on the green croc are new, a la BBB small wheels, using a technic axle. Does the ICE train use the same wheel type? And if not, then I assume that the wheels come off the motor block easily. What occurred to me is that these remote control motors could be used in many other applications by replacing the train wheels with gears, essentially turning the “train” motor into a generic remote controlled motor.

Or am I missing something here?

JOHN

Presumably you could make something like an articlated lorry, with the motor in the cab and the baseplate for the trailer. If you fitted an anti-jack-knifing mechanism you could get some control through reverse steering too. Then again, you could just use any technic motor. It’s hiding the IR baseplate that’s your biggest problem.

I suppose we’ve come full circle now, as this new train motor becomes a substitute for the old Basic 4.5V battery motor.

It looks like those pictures still have a few inconsistencies - metal wheels on one white train, then holes in the sidebars of another. That close-up of the green croc is the only one that looks convincingly like a complete update.

Jason R