 Trains / 26690
Re: CABR buildings and your opinions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:52:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   hey all,

i updated my gallery with some buildings i’m working on as well as a couple pics of my trains from nwbc. anyway i would love to here your thoughts on the buildings as well as how my CABR project is going in general. i really do want to make this layout as realistic and intersting as possible so let me have it. tell me what you think.

I love it. I have been following your progress for a while now. It gets better with each newly added element. The river and bridges inspired me to make sure I put a river or urban canal in my layout. I just love the entire approach you’ve take with the layout.

The buildings are coming along nicely as well. I like the dark orange facade you’ve made and can’t wait to see it completed.

I have a suggestion to this building though (it is only my own opinion and thoughts, FWIW) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1594840

For the left most section: I think I would line up the upper floor windows with the street level floor opening. I think it might be more asthetically pleasing. I might move the lower opening over to the right, it looks like, one stud which would line it up with the 3 windows above it. I imagine this building was once a firehouse or garage or something, with the large street level garage door opening converted to a regular door and windows.

I am looking forward to seeing this layout evolve even more!

Jonathan

ondrew

p.s. yes i know the buildings are not color matched yet. i figured it would be better to get the shape, then buy the parts verses getting the parts and finding out it doesn’t work.

Another excellent approach.