 Trains / 26652
Re: Odd brick SNOT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:52:47 GMT

In lugnet.build.schleim, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I just discovered a simple technique today for doing odd brick width SNOT, thus getting around the 2 in the 5:2 rule. I couldn’t think of having seen it before so maybe it is new (although it seems unlikely). Anyway, I thought I’d share it since I think it’s quite handy, especially for six-wide train builders.

Odd brick SNOT:

This

to give this

Apologies if I have missed someones work using this.

That is very neat. I’ve used the ends of these brackets before in a similar way to do tight lettering on a Caledonian Railway 4MT (2-6-4 steam engine), but I’ve never been able to work out what to do with the 1x2 part when using the whole 4-long edge. Using the thin wall panels is a great idea.

Note that there’s enough space between inside of the brackets and the panel to get a plate in, to secure the brackets together. (A 2x3 plate with tiles on fits exactly in the recess of a 1x2x3 panel).

You could also repeat this to do thin striping along the side of a railway carriage or tender, so long as you picked a colour you can get those panels in.

Jason Railton