 Trains / 2663
2662  |  2664
Subject:
NGLTC automated level crossing arms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:53:59 GMT

Michel,

The level crossing are quite simple (sorda), all I did is hook a separate micro
motor to each arm (used belt drive so not to strip out any gears and jam the
arms), then got two photo cells (radio shack) and placed them inside of a 2x4
tecnic plate facing up. A sensor is place before and after the crossing gates.
These are then wired into a computer relay system that I built. What happens is
that if either sensor is covered up (using the omni lighting of the exhibit hall
for a light source) the computer lowers the arms, once both sensors are free
again a 2 sec delay is triggered then the arms are raised back up. Yeah  I know
the computer system is the big mystery, but this can be done with the new LEGO
Mindstorm systems (they didn't have them when I built the original system).

Hope that makes some sense,

James

Michel Magnan wrote:

Could you please post details as to how you automated your level crossing.
Thanks again.
Michel Magnan

My friends and I went to the GATS show in Georgia this weekend to see the • North
Georgia LEGO Train Club layout.  I took a few pictures (around 140) with my
friends digital camera.

You can check out the pics at
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~mhader/lego/ngltc/99gats01.html

Michael Hader