 Trains / 26089
Re: A very fast TGV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:52:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David VinZant wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Alban NANTY wrote:
link on the video :

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Banban/Exhibition/Claix2005/xavier_tgv2.avi

IMHO quite impressive!

As one of the biggest fans of the TGV, its great to see it going faster. :P I
would like to know more about this MOC. How many cars do you have for it?

On the video the train had 3 cars and 2 locos but the whole MOC was designed
with 5 cars and 2 locos.
The real TGV is always compound of 8 cars (and 2 locos) numbered 1 to 8, but
usually between Paris and Lyon, there are 2 TGV trains fixed together travelling
together (that means 4 locos and 16 cars, the cars are numbered from 1 to 8 and
from 11 to 18)

Do you have more pictures of the train.

Yes, for example on the BS galery of its builder here:
(and the two following pictures).

Also here with 5 cars:
http://photos.freelug.org/v/6studs/claix/PA290158.JPG.html?g2_GALLERYSID=c3f9f85d107a535e7fa19eba6f3d2e26

And a close shot here:

This MOC is a 6 wide train, but note that the builder is curently working on a 8
wide version.

How fast can you make the train go around the corners?

Humm... unfortunatly very slow! :-)
As for the real TGV, this train doesn't like curve with little curve radius.
That's why you can see the train slow down just before the corner.
Xavier (the designer of this MOC, who is not me) was able to try this speed
because we had a very long straight line (around 51 baseplate 32x32, which
represents approximatly 13 meters). On the video you can see that the train
cover the 13 meters distance in approximatly 4 seconds, so the average speed of
this train (including acceleration and decceleration) was 13/4 = 3.25 m/s = 11.7
km/h

Dave

PS: Here are pics of my TGV. http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/7233

Yeah! Nice work.
If I had to make some comments, I would say:
- 10 cars instead of 8 :-) (I think there's only one or two first class cars
(red door), of course only one bar car (yellow door) always in the middle of the
train (number 4 or 14) and the rest is second class (green door))
- I think the front of the locomotive is a bit more sloped on the real train but
I admit it's difficult to do in Lego.