 Trains / 25834
Re: BBB Train Hand Car - Quarter Bushes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:48:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ben Fleskes wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Dean Earley wrote:
The design is not LEGO pure.  The model requires NBA/Basketball minifig legs
(with the springs removed) and a 1x4 technic thin lift arm (I cut the end off a
1x5 technic thin liftarm.   You can use 4263
<<http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ideabook/4263.jpg>>  but the studs on the side
will bind occasionaly.

I've tried lots of things to eliminate the 1x4 technic thin liftarm, but nothing
seems to work as well. Any suggestions are welcome.

At a guess, you need the arm to be central in a 1 stud width of axle.
A technique used by someone else (Mark Bellis I think) is to get a half
smooth technic bush (4265c) and cut it in half (length ways). This will
help keep the bar centred.

Thanks Dean!  I don't know why I didn't try this before.  I used a full with
bush and in conjunction with 4263 and it works very smooth.

I'll update the instructions to use the new configuration.

Ben

Thanks Dean,

The best photo I have of the quarter bushes in use is this one of the LMS
Garratt:

The bushes are behind the triangular brackets hat hold the middle driving
wheels.

Ben: I guessed you'd need the liftarm exactly in the middle because there was a
restriction on the maximum width of handle a minifig could hold without the
see-saw bit binding on his hands.  The quarter bushes are 2mm wide (minus the
amount eaten by the junior hacksaw), just more than the 1.6mm height of the
studs on the technic 1x4 plate with holes.

I put the half bush on a sacrificial axle driven by a fast technic motor powered
from a train controller, sawed gently and then filed both halves with a needle
file once I'd removed them from the axle.

Mark