 Trains / 25805
Re: And that's kicking your Class [50]...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:31:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

SNIP WOW! It certainly does kick my class 50! And IMHO Mark’s too! I always love functionality, and for such a little diesel, this one sure is packed with features! That is some seriously amazing work. The light up lights, the fan, and the vents, OMG! the vents! You NEED to show us how you did those! I wanna see! This is the first loco in a long time without a damn thing for me to whine about. The selective compression too is very well done, and the blue just adds to the perfection. Excellent work.

I’m glad you like it. It makes it very heavy though, so it really needs both motors. Originally it just had one, but it didn’t move very fast. It also made the power pick up from the back of the front motor extremely complicated. That’s much easier now from the front of the rear motor.

The vents are very fiddly, and there are wires wrapped around the mechanism inside that make it harder to see, too. I don’t really want to dismantle it just yet!

The fixed part of the vent is made from 1x6 tiles, with 1x1 plates in the gaps.

The moving part is a stack of alternate 2x2 tiles and 1x4 plates, with more 1x1 plates as filler. At a different place on each stack, one of the 1x4 plates is replaced with a plate with bar/hook. That lets you manipulate it in and out using a lever inside the body.

The lever mechanism inside is a long scissor jack made from thin technic beams, and it’s pushed or pulled by the rear bogey.

Jason Railton