 Trains / 25801
25800  |  25802
Subject:
And that's kicking your Class [50]...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:47:38 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I’ve finally ventured into the realm of smelly diesels, so here’s my attempt at a non-steam locomotive. It’s a BR Class 50.

BR Class 50
Click for gallery, when moderated.

This is number 50043, “Eagle”, and here’s a preview pic:
Class 50 preview

First of all, it’s in dark blue. In fact, the whole inspiration for doing this came from the dark blue 2x2 tiles in the Episode III Tri-Fighter and the 1x6 tiles in the Vulture Droid.

Then the marker lights work. I’m not sure that they should be coloured, but since the head and tail lights were too fiddly to get working I’ve made the marker lights yellow at the front and red at the rear. (They do use 1x4 light bricks, so yes they do blink if you’re backing up).

Next up, if you look at the roof detail you’ll see a fan under the grille. There’s an old-style 9V technic motor in the roof too, so that fan actually spins as it goes along. It even makes a convincing rumbly noise as it goes. The cut-out roof at the rear is from an older incarnation of the Class 50, but I like it so it stays.

Finally - and this is the best bit - the rear bogey has a sliding mechanism, so that when it’s dragged rearwards by a heavy load, the vents on the body of the engine all open up. There are 3 vents on the left-hand side, and 2 on the right - that’s not as many as the real thing, but then mine’s shortened for L-gauge layouts.

If you want to see this in action, click this image:
Venting animation

Finally, here are some real ones to look at:
Class 50 locomotives.

Enjoy!

Jason Railton