 Trains / 25796
Re: Ability of newer 9V motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:40:16 GMT

Christopher Deraleau wrote:
Since I'm new to Lego trains (bought my first Lego train set last week #4511 +
an extra #10158 car),

Welcome to .trains

I'm wondering exactly how powerful the little motor that
comes with the set is.  It seems to have no problem moving the 3 cars that I
currently own around its short circle track at high velocity.  But I want to
expand that set, mainly by adding 2 more #10158 passenger cars, and an
additional #10157 locomotive.  Will the one 9V motor be enough to pull/push that
many cars around, or should I invest in a second motor for the tail locomotive?

That makes 6 cars total? 2 engines and 4 coaches? I'd get a second motor.

Can the standard train speed regulator provide enough power for two motors over
a large quantity of track?

Most people have found that the speed regulator can power two motors
without a problem. In fact many people goes as high as three motors
without problems, but if you try to run four motors, the speed regulator
will turn itself off (there is a temperature control circuit in the
regulator that turns the regulator off if it starts heating up).

Any help or previous knowledge in the matter would be great.

Also, I'm looking to tray and motorize the track switches using technic motors
and add a constant 9V power source to control them, is there an easy way to do
such a thing?

No, unfortuanately not. Many people who do it later decide it isn't
worth the effort. FreeLUG did a nice writeup. I cannot find their
English version at the moment (FreeLUG is a group based in France), but
even if your French is as bad as mine, you still might get something out
of their writeup. If your French is even worse than mine, then there are
a lot of links to pages in other languages (like English).

http://www.freelug.org/article.php3?id_article=175

Remember, you can always find more information by using LUGNET's search
feature at the top of the www.lugnet.com/trains page.

Chris