 Trains / 25618
Re: US MOC loco numbering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:09:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

   Was looking at that earlier, I though it was a GP50 tho’

This brings me to a question that was bothering me when i was looking throught the NMRA photos. I don’t know my US loco classes by sight so I was looking up the numbers to find what the MOCs represented. None of them seemed to have correct numbers. For example BN 3003 is a GP40, not GP50. The BN GP50s are 3100-3162. Is there a reason for this? Just curious :)

Someone didn’t check the published rosters? Every railroad has their own scheme, which they violate with impunity when they want to, or if they run out of numbers (UP just started a second reporting mark for locos because they had run out of 4 digit numbers or something)

LEGO is freelance so what the heck, it’s all good. I’m still going to razz J2 about it now that you’ve caught him out, though.