 Trains / 2540
Re: More scale questions (Was: Scale of Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:51:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gary R. Istok writes:
I'm definitely no expert on train scales, since I don't get involved with any • model
railroading.  But I do find it interesting that the original LEGO Scale (Town • Plan
scale) where the classic LEGO door is 3 bricks high is very close to 'HO' • scale,
and as already mentioned the current minifig scale is close to 'O' scale. • All of
my LEGO building is in the HO scale.

Gary Istok

Well, if you go even further into the train scale history of Lego, it is also
interesting to note that trains came out in the late 60's, before minifigs
were around.  In fact, I believe that it was slightly before the door size
increased from the 2x3 to the oddball size of 3x4 that never really took a
foothold and was later replace by the 4x5 door.  I would have to say that the
trains are not minifig scale, but closer to the old stiffy-fig scale.  The
height of the current selection of trains suggests that it is much too big to
be the classic scale, so I would have to say that Lego train scale fits into
this category of the early 70's stiffy-fig scale and not the current minifig
scale.  Unfortunately, cost would prevent Lego from upping the size to become
Neal-scale at 10 studs, so we will just have to deal with Lego trains not
being to scale with the minifigs.

Mike Poindexter