 Trains / 2537
Re: More scale questions (Was: Scale of Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 20:30:14 GMT

Jim Rorstrom wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jeremy Sproat writes:

I'd be curious to see what other commonly-used modelling scales there are, and
what model genres are commonly used with them.  For example, HO scale is
commonly used in train models and is (I believe) 1/87;  this makes a 1x4 brick
approx. 9 feet in length on the long side.

Lego (minifig) scale is much closer to O scale (1:48) which makes a 1x4 brick
5 feet long and a minifig a sizable 6ft 6in.  If it is agreed that 5ft 8in is a
more reasonable height for the average human than the scale is closer to 1:42
which makes the 1x4 brick 4ft 4 1/2in long.  For a model railroad primer on
scale go to (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1502/intro.htm).

- Jim

I'm definitely no expert on train scales, since I don't get involved with any model
railroading.  But I do find it interesting that the original LEGO Scale (Town Plan
scale) where the classic LEGO door is 3 bricks high is very close to 'HO' scale,
and as already mentioned the current minifig scale is close to 'O' scale.  All of
my LEGO building is in the HO scale.

Gary Istok