 Trains / 25132
Re: best way to support elevated plates?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 01:05:14 GMT

Joe Strout wrote:

In lugnet.build, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Consider GMLTC lattice. Strong, light, made of common elements and
modular in that it conforms to various heights well.

XFUT lugnet.trains... a search with this string "GMLTC lattice" should
find you a pic of it...

Sounds like what I'm after.  Unfortunately, a search for "GMLTC lattice"
didn't
turn up any posts, except for yours, with both words in it.  I also tried
the
same search at brickshelf, with no luck.  Can anyone point me to a picture
or more detailed description of this structure?

For 1000Steineland 2003 Klaas Meijaard and myself built a huge pirate
layout, that had to cover up 3 train tracks. We used a combination of
brick+technic framework (all 2*4 and 2*8 bricks, and technic 1*16's for
long beams across) with loads of BURPs stacked to the sides.
What we discovered is that :
- ANY structure with just LEGO that is big and high will be unstable and
vary in size due to LEGO's tolerances (and that goes for 80's bricks as
well as the new sloppy ones)
- Dense building is the only way to keep it solid. I was used to building
4-8 studs thick for strength and after 2 shows only my module was still
100% intact (we wore out a brick separater on the module during teardown)
- using pure LEGO is a waiste of bricks! We used probably over 10.000 bricks
just in plain support!

http://www.vanree.net/fotoalbum/javanree/lego/1000steineland_2003/basics/
http://www.vanree.net/fotoalbum/javanree/lego/1000steineland_2003/progress/
is a good representation of how we went about... we had to pull modules
together at the top using 6*16 plates to make them sit together gapless,
all due to the play in the bricks (20-30 times 0.1mm is still 2-3 mm!)
We used modules that mostly were 2*3 32*32 baseplates to keep transport
easy, but in the end some were still too big and it's not always possible
to use such a grid on everything (largest was 2*4 IIRC)

For a new layout we're doing tomorrow I simply had MDF 8mm cut to shape,
built some columns of 8*8 using 2*4's and 2*8's and will cover up the sides
with BURP's and other similair parts. Since it's a small layout I can set
it up quite rapid. More pics to follow
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/