 Trains / 25077
Re: Four 'European' (O.K., British) Short Wheelbase Wagons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 20:34:03 GMT

   I designed the body of one of these in 7 wide a couple of years ago with some design similarities such as the door-rail rib around the top. Spookily I was just thinking about finishing it off recently! I might have to steal your underframe detailing. The question is, what colour should it be, the unfitted ones might have been painted grey but they mostly looked like this!

That’s not exactly what I was basing mine on, but I can’t find the pictures at the moment.

There’s lots of different body designs, I can picture the type you have made in my head but can’t remember the reasons for the details differences. I know they got rebuilt with a different rib design but which is which, nope its gone!

   I can see yours uses SNOT to make the ribs. Can you actually build it?

I built half of it (1) this evening to see if I could! It does work but like many of my virtual designs is a bit fragile. I also think that the necessity of using lots of small elements detracts from the smoothness of the sides. I have to say yours looks a lot better really.

   Is the lower ribbing done with 1x6 tiles anchored internally?

The lower ribbing is 2x2 tiles held by one stud, its actually not as weak as it sounds. I can’t remember the rational behind some of the design decisions, it made me wonder when I was building

   And are those inverted slopes between the ribs or SNOTted facet bricks?

SNOTted facet bricks and 3x3 wings

Mine is mostly 5-wide so the ribs and door rails extend out to 6-wide. I presume yours is 6-wide in the body? It’s a little taller too, but the building techniques would adapt to something smaller. I quite like it actually, and may have a go at a 6-wide SNOT type.

Its 7-wide in the body so 8-wide over the ribs. I think I might have another go with a 6-wide body, I like some of the design features (especially the interface of the SNOT body with the stud up lower end) but not it as a whole. It also has problem I find with a lot of my designs, it uses lots of the same parts, for example it uses 16 of the 3x3 wings. If I made it six wide I could use the 6x3 double version.

It’s just a bit of a shame I don’t have the bits to build several of these. I’ve done two of each of the others.

Yes, i think you need at least ten to get the right impression, I think the average train was 22!

Jason Railton

Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit

Tim

(1) sorry for the crap picture quality, Microsoft Photo Editor does a ribbush job of resizing