 Trains / 25068
Re: Four 'European' (O.K., British) Short Wheelbase Wagons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 09:46:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   Like them all, perhaps you could do the broken back tanker in purple!

I find your lack of taste disturbing...

   The Bolsover wagons hold especial significance for me as I live about 8 miles from the colliery. (and, as I found out recently, about 15 mins walk from George Stephenson’s house!)

I have family in the area too. My Dad was born in Bolsover.

   Finally something else new - a reinforced hopper wagon for hauling coal or iron ore. Although I notice the model makers at Legoland Windsor have just rolled out something similar.

I designed the body of one of these in 7 wide a couple of years ago with some design similarities such as the door-rail rib around the top. Spookily I was just thinking about finishing it off recently! I might have to steal your underframe detailing. The question is, what colour should it be, the unfitted ones might have been painted grey but they mostly looked like this!

That’s not exactly what I was basing mine on, but I can’t find the pictures at the moment. I can see yours uses SNOT to make the ribs. Can you actually build it? Is the lower ribbing done with 1x6 tiles anchored internally? And are those inverted slopes between the ribs or SNOTted facet bricks?

Mine is mostly 5-wide so the ribs and door rails extend out to 6-wide. I presume yours is 6-wide in the body? It’s a little taller too, but the building techniques would adapt to something smaller. I quite like it actually, and may have a go at a 6-wide SNOT type.

It’s just a bit of a shame I don’t have the bits to build several of these. I’ve done two of each of the others.

Jason Railton