 Trains / 24891
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 15:03:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christian Treczoks wrote:

Call me ignorant, but what the heck is this "TTX", anyway? A kind of track
gauge?

Wondering,

Christian Treczoks

"TTX Company provides railcars and related freight car management services to
the North American rail industry."
From http://www.ttx.com

Tim

The question of Christian is revealing that the target audience for the TTX is
clearly North American (initially desired by TLC or not).

I mean european (non AFOL - the main part of TLC customers) audience don't know
TTX, and have never seen a double stack container freight car. I'm quite sure
this set will be less successfull in europe than in NA.

But as an AFOL I don't care about all these issues - On the contrary I like this
"modelmaker orientated" models more than toyish ones TLC used to produce. I hope
this set will be succesfull to encourage such a move.

American themed, European themed... at one level I don't care.

Whatever LEGO produces, I (we) can do better(1). So any set is good, regardless
of how it looks as a set, *IF* it has good parts. And I agree that this set
looks like it will have some great parts (and stickers). Parts is parts, as long
as they aren't POOP.

But at another level, the train show level, I do care. North American prototypes
resonate with the audiences at train shows better than european ones do, and
they fit in with the sorts of layouts I like to do. I think it's goodness to be
able to point to high quality sets (high that I am willing to have them on my
layout) and say "you can't buy THAT, a club member did it, but you can buy THIS
if you want, isn't it cool" to the mundanes.

4561 wasn't good enough for that, euro themed or not. The current white and
green high speed train is a LITTLE better, but that big one piece nose is
embarassing so it won't be on layouts if I can help it.

1 - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115018 ... even if it
started out designed by James, it had to be compromised. I don't have to
compromise the way he did so I can top it easily. So can most of us.