 Trains / 24827
  Slug Photos

Back a few years ago I was talking trains with someone here ( I forget his name) about the "slugs" we have up here. I had thought them common since their function seems logical to me and I see them in use around me, but he said these (...) (19 years ago, 23-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) I heard they are not as popular now because the savings aren't worth the loss in flexibility (just like cabless locos aren't as common either any more). (19 years ago, 23-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) power on its own. It is powered from the lead loco. The effect is greater traction and power but less generation. They are seen a lot in switching yards but not as much on long hauls. Mike (19 years ago, 25-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) That's correct. A slug is an engine that's had the cab and motors removed, and often the fuel tanks as well. Sometines tha tank is retained and filled with ballist. This was common with older engines such as a GP9 or GP15. Either way, extra (...) (19 years ago, 25-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) That interesting, I'd assumed looking at the picture that it was a cow and calf but I did wonder why the bonnet was so low. I have heard both terms before but not made the destinction between them I've not come across anything like this (...) (19 years ago, 25-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) The low bonnet, hoods in the US, are for better visability. But enough is retained for houseing some control systems and structural integrety, and even dynamic brakes. Not to mention storing of wieght and a place to paint a RR's name on. 8) (...) (19 years ago, 26-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) In the UK, we used to have the class 13 which was a 'cow and calf' type arrangement built from 2 class 08 shunters, one with cab removed. IIRC this was in service until the mid 80s exclusively for shunting at Tinsley yard We also have Diesel (...) (19 years ago, 27-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Slug Photos

G'Day I had made the little switcher and matching slug: (URL) not match any real prototype and was made free form starting with the cab piece i had. Cheers Oliver Play Well! "Steve Chapple" <LEGOArches@yahoo.com> wrote in message (...) (19 years ago, 28-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) I found a couple of pictures of a completely different kind of slug (URL) and 4th pictures up from the bottom Tim (19 years ago, 17-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) It's so cute. Mat (19 years ago, 17-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Slug Photos

(...) Sorry, that should be 4th and 5th (19 years ago, 18-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)